We love the idea of ‘smartphone tuning.’ It feels great to have as many wallpapers, ringtones, and apps as possible. But, some wallpapers and ringtones cost money. So, if we want an app that provides free ringtones, we always turn to Zedge.
What is Zedge?
Some of our readers might not remember, but Zedge has been around for quite a while. We could see ads like ‘Zedge free ringtones’ and ‘Zedge free wallpapers’ all over the early Internet. And we’re talking about both websites and (and this is quite a blast from the past) WAP sites.
Let’s get into the history of this app. Zedge was founded all the way back in 2003 in Norway. At the moment, it has an office in Trondheim, Norway, with subsidiaries in New York, USA, and Helsinki, Finland.
Back in the day, Zedge was a website where we could find the best free ringtones, MP3 or otherwise. But that wasn’t all. The more our technology advanced, the bigger Zedge became. Ringtones and wallpapers were just the beginning.
Audio and video files soon followed, as did themes for cell phones. However, with smartphones, every single one of these services expanded. Suddenly, everyone had access to importing MP3s and image files, so it seemed like Zedge was obsolete.
‘Seemed’ is the keyword here. All the company really needed was a revamp.
2019 and the Zedge App
In our opinion, Zedge is one of the best apps for downloading free ringtones on our smartphones. Other than ringtones, it provides users with icons, wallpapers, widgets, and a lot more. In addition, the platform lets minor brands, emerging artists, and teams to extend their reach. In short, a new musician can expect millions of people to hear their music simply by hosting it on Zedge.
If we look at 2019 alone, the app had over 30 million active users worldwide. What’s more, there were more than 280 million app installs around the globe. The numbers don’t lie — Zedge is popular, and it’s not going anywhere.
Compatibility of the App
Most of us use Android devices, so it’s easy for us to use this app. But, we also know there are people out there who use Windows or iOS. Luckily, Zedge works with all three operating systems.
However, the cool thing about Zedge isn’t that it’s compatible with every popular OS out there. It’s that the app is compatible even with the particular type of device we might be using.
For example, back when iPods were a thing, Zedge would adapt its wallpapers and ringtones search to the exact device itself. It would do the same thing for iPhones and iPads. In short, we can get proper optimization just by letting the app recognize what type of device we have.
How to Use Zedge
Creating an account on Zedge is optional, but we suggest doing it. Everything will be easier that way, including downloading free ringtones.
So, what are the steps to finding free ringtones on Zedge? Let’s list them:
- Making a free account helps. We can sign up and log in using a valid email address.
- The app asks what type of phone we’re using. Even if our model isn’t on the list, it’s enough that it has a color display and supports WAP. The best thing to do here is to pick a similar product from the same brand.
- The search bar is our friend. Of course, we have to select the ‘ringtones’ option first. It goes without saying that we can change it to wallpapers, icons, etc. if we want to search for something other than free ringtones.
- Once the song appears, we click on it. It will give us several options. We can email the song to someone, click ‘Play’ to listen to it, or download it.
That’s how we find the ringtones. Downloading them has a few extra steps.
- On the page that contains our desired song, we’ll see a blue ‘get ringtone’ button. Though we can click on it, it doesn’t automatically save the song. In fact, from here, we have free options, depending on our phone or even our download preference.
- Clicking on ‘Download’ will directly download the song onto our PC.
- Clicking on ‘Send to Mail’ will send a copy of the ringtone to our email account.
- Choosing ‘Scan QR code’ lets us use a QR scanner and get the song instantly.
- Once we download the song, all we have to do is connect the phone and transfer the song. If we used the ‘Send to Mail’ option, we could download it to the smartphone directly.
Benefits of Zedge
As stated earlier, Zedge is a lot more than just a downloading tool for free ringtones. In fact, we’d call it a multipurpose app with tons of features.
One thing we love about Zedge is just how much content it has. Once we started browsing, it seemed like it had a limitless library of songs and pictures. And they keep adding new ones! All of them for free, no less!
But it’s not just about getting ringtones. It’s also about sorting them. The app provides us with different categories, including an option to list our favorite ringtones and wallpapers. We can then access them easily and get what we need in seconds.
Zedge also gives its users the ability to customize the app’s icons to better fit the wallpaper. That’s one step further to full phone personalization, and it’s a definite plus for Zedge in our book.
Facebook users will love the latest feature the app developers have introduced. If we have a list of favorite ringtones, we can save it and access it on any device using Facebook. It’s an amazing way to make Zedge even more mobile than it already is. Moreover, it allows us to share our lists with other users of both Facebook and Zedge. They can then download the ringtones we like, boosting the app further. And if those ringtones are from new, up-and-coming artists, it can only benefit them in the long run.
Does Zedge Have Flaws?
Well, Zedge HAD flaws before, but with the latest update, they’ve been largely removed. For example, the interface of the app was atrocious in its early stages. But the developers of the 4.0 version really put a lot of effort into it, and now, it looks sleek and works like a charm.
Other flaws are minor and don’t have as much to do with the app as they do with the user base. A few people have complained that their personal photos were uploaded to Zedge without their consent and that it took Zedge’s customer service team too long to take them down. Luckily, these cases are very rare.
Where Can We Get Zedge?
If you love having free ringtones and other smartphone goodies, you can download Zedge on the Google Play and the App Store.