Most of us don’t like having the same default ringtone that most people with the same device as ours have. For one, it’s impractical, as we will always check our phones when we hear the sound in public, even if our device isn’t the one ringing. Also, because we have our own unique personality, we’ll want to have a ringtone that stands out from the crowd.
In these cases, we could buy ringtones for our Android or iPhone devices to enrich their sound library. But that’s not always as easy and straightforward as we might think.
So, in this guide, we’ll discuss how and where we should buy ringtones for both operating systems. Additionally, we’ll explore some alternatives to paying for ringtones and even learn how to create unique ones. However, we will not be mentioning any illegal or sketchy websites, as it’s always best to steer clear of those.
Best Places to Purchase Ringtones
Because iPhone and Android feature different operating systems, there are only a few solutions for purchasing ringtones for them. Hence, later on in this guide, we’ll learn how to buy a new ringtone, no matter which device we have. But first, let’s go over iPhone- and Android-specific services, as they are often the easiest and quickest to use.
Apple is notorious for having their own apps that we have to use with their devices, and iPhones are no exception. So when it comes to buying a ringtone, the most practical solution is to use Apple’s own app — iTunes.
We can use iTunes to listen to and rent music, podcasts, radio broadcasts, and even purchase ringtones. To buy iTunes ringtones, we’ll have to:
- Open the iTunes Store app.
- Tap the More button and go to the Tones section.
- Browse the ringtones by price, genre, chart, etc., to find the one we like most.
- Once we’ve found the perfect sound, we can tap the Buy Tone button.
- Then, we’ll need to input our Apple ID and password to complete the purchase.
By now, we should have completed the purchase successfully, and the ringtone should already be downloading. Once the process is complete, we’ll need to go to the Sound settings and choose our new ringtone.
Android offers several different apps and products when it comes to buying ringtones for our phones. So, next, we’ll talk about the places where you can look for and purchase ringtones if you have an Android phone.
Google Play Music
To Android devices, Google Play is what iTunes is to iPhones. Thus, it allows us to purchase different apps, games, as well as ringtones — all from one place.
Moreover, Android users can purchase music and ringtones directly through the Google Play Music app. Also, because Android doesn’t limit the duration of a ringtone, we can select any song we like. To purchase our new ringtone on Google Play Music, we’ll need to:
- Go to the Google Play Music app.
- Open the navigation bar on the left side of the screen, and go tap the Shop button.
- Next, we’ll be able to see a price for every song and album and list them by genre, new releases, preorder, etc.
- Once we’ve chosen the ringtone, we can click on Buy to start downloading it.
- Wait for the song to download, go to device settings, and set up our new ringtone.
Through Verizon Tones, we’re able to purchase, download, and set up ringtones for our Android phones. This app truly is unique, as it allows us to set up different ringtones for each person on our contact list and use Verizon’s Ringback Tone. Namely, this feature allows the caller to hear our actual ringtone while waiting for us to answer the phone.
To be able to utilize this fantastic service, we’ll need to:
- Download Verizon Tones from Google Play.
- Open the app to browse for ringtones.
- Tap the Subscribe to Ringback Tones button to start using Verizon’s own ringtone service.
Amazon allows us to purchase books, furniture, clothes, magazines, and even ringtones, all from the comfort of our homes. Additionally, it’s one of the few platforms we can use to buy ringtones for both iPhone and Android devices. Finally, on Amazon, we can download songs to use as ringtones or purchase ringtones apps that allow us to get the tunes. Here’s how we can do it:
- Go to https://www.amazon.com and search for a ringtone by name.
- Click on the navigation tab, and go to Amazon Music, and then Download Store to explore the music by category.
- Purchase the song we want to download, input our payment information, and download it.
Alternative Ways of Getting Ringtones
For those who love having a new ringtone every other week, purchasing one might not be the best financial choice. Luckily, there are some alternative, budget-friendly ways of getting ringtones.
Zedge is an Android app that allows us to download ringtones, wallpapers, and screensavers for our phones. To download a ringtone, we’ll have to:
- Go to Ringtones in the navigation bar.
- Explore song clips by categories, such as alternative, animals, holidays, etc.
- Once we’ve found the perfect ringtone, we can tap the Set, and then Set Ringtone button.
- If we haven’t already, we need to give the app permission to access our settings by opening the prompt that shows up on our screen.
iPhone Ringtone Maker
If we’ve already purchased a great number of songs for our iPhone, there’s no need to buy new ringtones. Namely, we can use the iPhone Ringtone Maker to turn our favorite tunes into our custom new ringtones. Here’s what we’ll need to do:
- Download, install, and run iPhone Ringtone Maker.
- Click on Add File to import the audio or video file we want to turn into our ringtone.
- Set the duration time to 40 seconds max, add effects, and adjust the volume.
- Connect our phone to the computer and click on the Generate button to start converting the audio to an iPhone ringtone.
No matter what phone model we have, there will come a time when we will get bored with its default ringtone and want to change it. So if we wish to hear a different tune or showcase our unique style and personality, we’ll have to download a new ringtone.
However, with so many different services at our disposal, the process can seem a bit overwhelming at times. Still, with the help of this article, we’re hoping you’ll be able to find, buy, and set up the best ringtones for your phones.